Monday, February 29, 2016

A review of Cosmos Dream by a musically challenged miscreant…….

Late 1960's early 1970's, you wander into an urban coffee house/ night club.
San Francisco? New York? Seattle? It does not matter where. These are restless times. There is an ill wind blowing out of the east. There is trouble on the horizon in the form of a Republican presidential candidate. All you want to do is escape for a few hours, listen to music and have a drink with friends….drown your fears with the music of three very talented musicians.

If this does not sound familiar or enjoyable, you missed an incredible evening with Cosmos Dream at the Focal Point in St. Louis. Yes, time went backwards by several decades. I felt like I was in the presence of "The Weavers", Peter, Paul and Mary and any of the other musical poets from that era. It could have been a scene or a snippet from "A Mighty Wind", the stage of Garrison Keilors Lake Wobegon show on NPR. I really had to shake my head and pinch myself to make sure I was in St. Louis and this was 2016.

Mind you,bluegrass, folk and country music was never part of my make up, I cut my teeth on Deep Purple, The Clash, The Talking Heads. I listen to Opera, Classical Music, I dance in my head to Techno and Industrial. But a three piece band..acoustic? No drums? Thanks but no thanks….
Well, consider me a convert. Steve, Kristi and Gen changed my mind. I was stunned, I sat there for several hours with a big smile on my face, listened to the words that were sung, and felt something change in me.

I could see, hear and feel the love that Steve and Kristi have for one another. It was there in the songs that they sung. The intensity of Mr. Obata's playing got my feet moving, I could feel his passion for what he was playing. I honestly did not think that fingers could move that quickly, and at one point, I think I heard the mandolin let out a groan and plead for Gen to be gentle.

My favorite? The waltz that was played (I do not recall the name). Hearing Kristi's voice gave me goose bumps, I wish that they had played it again. And again…I was amazed.
All the songs were amazing, funny, heartfelt….Who knew that a song about a mall in the hills of Tennessee could be that good.

It was a great evening, one that I truly enjoyed. 3 adults of questionable age, playing like they were kids…..Look past the grey hair, they are damned good.

David Stradal via Rebecca Stith's Facebook page.

1 comment: